I’m back for the 2nd day in a row. I’ve decided the I’ll be making my entries for the day around bedtime. This is being done with the intention of being able to reflect on the events of the day and be able to examine what went well and what needs to continue to be pushed in the right direction. Some of these entries going forward might seem less exciting but I promised myself that I’d show, and show up I shall.
I want to start this entry by first saying that man…it felt good to get some of the thing I mentioned in yesterday’s entry off of my chest. I woke up this morning and felt a bit more free than usual. My mind felt clear and spirit felt much lighter, almost as if a heavy burden was lifted off of it. I felt motivated and my goal for today was to keep the momentum shifting in the right direction.
I immediately made a list of things that I want to accomplish, both extrinsic and intrinsic. There are some major milestones on my roadmap that I’d love to hit, but in the spirit of progress being more important than perfection, I decided to take pride in any of the small wins I had for the day and am choosing to assess those as milestones that put me in the right direction of where I want to be. If you’re ready to hear about my milestones for the day then brace yourself, because here they come.
Today was good. I…
- Ate Breakfast – I woke up and made myself some breakfast. I tend to skip this meal but I wanted to focus on being better about my food consumption.
- Skipped the Coffee in Favor of Green Tea – I am aware that I drink waayyyyy too much coffee and it’s something about myself I want to change. I’ve been reading about all of the benefits of green tea and so I recently ordered a glass tea kettle and a tea cup with a lid for improved steeping. I finally got the chance to take it for a test drive. I added a tad bit of honey to the tea for slightly improved flavor, but…no sugar or other sweeteners.
- Tried Out the Pomodoro Technique – I hope I spelled that right, but yes…this is something I’ve ready about and I decided to implement it today to allow me to stick to a tighter schedule and not get so burnt out. This was only day one of testing this method out, but it felt good. Before I can give it a fair critique I need to continue trying it out for awhile longer, but I think this is going to work out nicely in helping me be more diverse in my time usage. I actually tried out the app, Focus Keeper, and it seems as if the Pomodoro technique is the default setting. I enjoyed it.
- Didn’t Play Any Games – I actually didn’t watch a lick of tv until this evening, nor did I play any games. I’ve lately had a tendency to lose time with this senseless activity and I wanted to challenge myself to get back to a place of minimal time spent on entertainment.
- Coded for 2-Hours – In my quest to pursue a career in development (I want to shift from UX Design to Full-Stack Development) I often find time to study code. Sometimes it feels as if I study so much so, or get caught up in the idea of studying, that all of my spare time is consumed by it. That simply is not sustainable and I even found myself pushing so deep into study that my brain becomes incapable of retaining the information (past a certain point). Sticking to 2-hours freed up a good portion of the rest of my day for other activities.
- Studied Branding, my TRUE Love – I’ve always wanted to go deeper into branding and possibly build a future doing it. I strayed away from it, mostly because I didn’t accepted to work at a large agency fresh out of college, it’s shameful I let the opinions of so-called “experts” steer me away from my passion. I promise to get back to it and doing a little bit today felt nice.
- Made More Time for My Wife and Kids – even if it was just talking a bit more or laughing a bit more, I sat down with them for breakfast and lunch and we just enjoyed each other’s company.
That’s basically it. I felt good about the minimal progress I made today, but I know there’s still so much more to come. I will continue to return here everyday to let you all know of the events of my days and share out over time my big wins, dreams, and goals.
Tomorrow, I will spend some time sharing out the short-term goals I’ve created for myself. It will be a preliminary pass at them because I also wanted to do some exercises I’ve seen in the book, “Think and Grow Rich”. However, I will share them with you all nonetheless and possibly some of the steps I will be taking to help them come true. Progress over perfection…faith over fear. If you read this, love yourself…and have as always, be blessed!
P.S. I got this in by 11:58pm…so I’ll probably get started just a bit earlier going forward lol.